Today I am so excited to have Tara Jordan with us from Weddings with Tara. Tara is a wedding planner from North Carolina. Her weddings have been featured in many publications including Style Me Pretty, The Knot, and Southern Weddings, to name a few. Feel free to leave any comments and questions after the post. Thanks for reading!
1. Tell us a little bit about yourself and your business
First of all, thank you for this opportunity to be ‘featured’ on your blog! I am a wedding planner/consultant, and the the name of my business is Weddings with Tara. I have been planning weddings for 12 years, and I have had my own business since 2006. I absolutely ADORE what I do, and one of the favorite aspects of my job is that I get to meet so many different types of people and share in such an important part of their lives. I love getting to know each and every person, and seeing their ‘vision’ come to life. I am married to a wonderful and Godly man, Jonathan, and I have a beautiful one-year old girl named Pherson. I attribute everything I have and all that I do to my relationship with Jesus Christ.
2. I think most brides are overwhelmed at the thought of planning a wedding. What is the first step she should take once she’s engaged?
I think the first step after getting engaged, is to actually enjoy being engaged! 🙂 So many couples jump so quickly in to the ‘panic’ of planning that it immediately feels overwhelming. Next, I would recommend getting a good grip on the number of guests you are wanting to have and the time of year you as these will help you narrow down a location. Of course, the next step is finding a location, as it is very difficult to start booking vendors without having a location or exact date settled.
3. Can you give brides three (or however many you’d like) tips to help with the wedding planning process?
1. Enjoy it! I do recommend hiring a wedding planner, especially for a destination wedding, just so you can truly relax knowing someone is there to help. AND, I am not just saying this because I am a wedding planner! 🙂
2. Every once in a while, take a moment to remember why you are doing all this planning…to marry the one you love! Put everything back into perspective.
3. Once you have your location and date, it is best to book the vendors that will only do one wedding in one day…this typically would be your wedding planner (if this isn’t already booked), photographer and musicians.
4. What are some of the problems brides may run into when planning a wedding, and how can they be avoided?
Many brides tend to run into budget problems. They start out with a vision without having any perspective on what things cost. My advice is for the bride and groom is to prioritize the things that are important to them. Many of the budget helpers you see online are very general, which is fine, but you need to put your money into the things that are going to make a difference to you. Every couple is unique! Also, chip away at the cost of the wedding as often as you can. Most vendors and venues will let you pay them at anytime, so if you have extra money one month, use this to pay some of the cost.
What a beautiful family! Image created by Jeremy Russell. (www.jeremyrussellphotography.com)
Thank you Tara for sharing your insights with us today! If you’re looking to plan a destination wedding, or a wedding in NC head on over to her website and get in touch!